Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are both major diseases underneath the umbrella of what it is commonly referred to as Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). IBD is inflammation in the lining of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract caused by the immune system malfunctioning and attacking its own cells. . Canada has the highest rate of IBD in the world, affecting 1 in 150 people or roughly 230,000 Canadians. (1)
While Crohn’s and colitis are quite similar, the areas that they affect in the GI tract are different. Ulcerative colitis affects the colon and inner lining of the gut wall, while Crohn’s can affect the entire digestive system and can also affect the entire gut wall. Both diseases can be extremely painful and result in a series of symptoms. Symptoms of Crohn’s and colitis can come and go and they can present themselves differently for each person.
Signs & Symptoms: (2)
- Abdominal pain & cramping
- Rectal bleeding (common with colitis)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gas or flatulence
- Sores in mouth and around anus
- Night sweats
- Decreased appetite
- Weight loss
November is Crohn’s & Colitis awareness month and Living Alchemy is a proud, passionate partner of Crohn’s & Colitis Canada. Crohn’s & Colitis Canada is an important cause to invest in a future free of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Together, our efforts contribute to a world-class research, empowering patient programs, advocacy efforts and elevating awareness of an ever-rising rate of Inflammatory Bowel Disease across North America. Together, we believe we can move towards a future free of Crohn’s and colitis.
If you are interested in learning more about Crohn’s or colitis, please visit Crohn’s & Colitis Canada. If you would like to know more about Living Alchemy’s efforts to support their endeavors, please visit our website.
1. Crohn’s and Colitis Canada. What Are Crohn’s and Colitis? https://crohnsandcolitis.ca/About-Crohn-s-Colitis/What-are-Crohns-and-Colitis?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy57Zmayz5QIV0xitBh22-AnNEAAYASAAEgIuz_D_BwE Accessed 23 October, 2019.
2. Crohn’s and Colitis Canada. Signs and Symptoms. https://crohnsandcolitis.ca/About-Crohn-s-Colitis/Signs-Symptoms Accessed 23, October 2019.